View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Any glaring dysfunctions right off the bat?

Are you doing lower/upper/total or lower/upper/lower/upper...etc?

I'd think about the Bret Conteras glute stuff. Can try to nip any future hamstring problems in the bud. It'd be pretty easy to incorporate into the warmup for the first part and then adding 1-2 exercises for the rest of it. Something to think about.

Perhaps throw in a unilateral leg movement per session rather than box squats and trap bar DL's? Like box squats and single leg RDLS' one lower body day and then trap bar DL's and split squats the next time.

Being that this kid has no off-season and you want to work him without burying him I guess you will see how he responds to having the plyos, strenght stuff and speed drills all together.

BFS DOT drill? I'm a big fan of that just in general maybe a good addition when training a HS age kid?

Hope these help but if something seems like it's BS let me know. This is all conjecture on my part.
he's pretty balanced actually... he played lacrosse, basketball, football and soccer and his running is sound, he jumps well, squat is stable, etc. He won't be hard to work with at all.

lower/upper/total will be the agenda.

I am trying to keep the training from killing him because he has practices and games so I am lowering the load I usually do for offseason stuff, it will be a work in progress since I have nothing to maintain for in-season work, this is his first time setting foot in a gym.

Good call on the unilateral stuff, I was actually thinking about doing some uni work but haven't decided on it, but it definitely cannot hurt at all, and it will only help. But... he is also coming from square one in the gym, not as an athlete, so at this point just getting him stronger and more explosive will do wonders for him.

DOT drill is great, I have that already in my arsenal for future sessions for sure.

his endurance is good, so all my rests between sprints, plyos, agility are 20 seconds. I don't do distance running, that is on him, so when we do a sprint drill he won't be resting long at all. Let's just say yesterday he was getting winded before the lifting.

My thinking is that you work speed and explosiveness first before lifting so he is not worn out from lifting to be able to move fast and explode. Thoughts on that?
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote