View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Default esophageal inflammation and fat intake

This post is not for me. I'm stumped.

I've been trying to get my mom to follow a more paleo diet and she's made great progress. BUT, with her diet alterations has come a problem that has plagued her most of her adult life: esophageal spasms. These are contractions that feel like small heart attacks. They're very painful. I've had them myself, but only after a lot of alcohol, chocolate, or caffiene--or some combination of all of them.

I guess since she's been eating a more Paleo diet, she's been in a lot of pain. She swears that it's the higher fat content and says "her body can't handle fat." To make matters worse, her doctor recently recommended for her a diet of "easy and gentle carbs" like white rice, white bread, oatmeal, etc. He also told her to avoid fat, alcohol, chocolate and coffee.

Could this recommendation be more harmful than helpful? She just finished Sisson's book and she was really pumped about making progress; now she's pretty bummed.

Is this doctor right? Are some people unable to process nuts and oils? She seems to be most sensitive to almonds and nuts and their butters. Oh, and she has not been able to cut out peanut butter.

Any suggestions I could pass her way?

Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote