View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
I'm not getting why everyone's jumping on the 5/3/1 bandwagon. I've heard a lot of people are making great progress on it, but isn't it just slow, sensible, dedicated progression? It sounds to me like the "magic" part of it is that it forces you to swallow your ego and accept that things take time, which you could do with other programs too. Similarly, the "magic" of Starting Strength is that it forces newbies to do useful lifts with consistency and a gradually increasing poundage.
Yes but.. it really takes the thinking out of program design, for a lot of goals. Everyone seems to want to "do SS with conditioning" or whatever, well... 5/3/1 has conditioning built into the program, from there it's just deciding how much weight you want to allocate to conditioning vs strength vs .. etc. In that sense it seems a fair recommendation for someone who has less homogeneous goals.

If everyone recommended SS, Bill Starr, Practical Programming, etc the next question would be "when/how much/how often to do conditioning? I really want to keep the awesome conditioning I already have from crossfit, preferably by keeping the 3 on 1 off cf.com schedule on top of SS, thanks!". With 5/3/1 it's just buy and READ the book, the answers are in there. There's a chapter in 5/3/1 about "5/3/1 with conditioning" it's called "North of the Vag". It's also non-retarded programming for the average gym rat, but then again, so are a lot of things.

To me, other programs almost expect the reader to think critically way more than I'm willing to assume people will..
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote