View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Linda Kardos

I can only speak from my own experience as a female close to your client's age who has been able to "hang" with a crossfit crowd.

IMHO I think you'll have to respect her eating habits and preferences. They are not bad and her lack of interest in supplements is common. After experimenting with "recommended" supplement pills for better health and fitness improvement (over 25 years), I don't believe that they are worth the $$ or annoying size they come in, at least not at this level of athletic endeavor.

I find that finding balance with (not eliminating) alcohol, added sugar and dairy in the diet help best for fueling workouts and recovery and inflamation control. Don't forget adequate (not necessarily excessive) protein.

I also think a more general strength focus to her programming might help. Get her doing more bodyweight exercises and scale the dumbell work accordingly.

Try to get her in to a certified A.R.T. therapist. That stuff heals injuries fast! 3 sessions did more for me (hip tendonitis) than 5 months with a traditional PT.

I guess the other big thing I would ask is if she knows what her fitness goals are? If they are not defined then likely trying to find a program for her is just shooting at a moving target. Make sure her priorities are the same ones that you see for her.

Sleep, life's stresses and motivation are more important than they used to be at this stage for her. If she is not stressing over work or family then she can get by on less sleep but if there is a lot going on in other areas of life then working on getting lots if sleep goes a long way.

I hope I am not out of line with my comments and your knowledge/experience. I just find that living "this side" of the fitnesss and age equation is a lot different than what I thought it would be as a younger fitness enthusiast.