View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Jae Chung

Linda, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Kardos View Post
IMHO I think you'll have to respect her eating habits and preferences. They are not bad and her lack of interest in supplements is common. After experimenting with "recommended" supplement pills for better health and fitness improvement (over 25 years), I don't believe that they are worth the $$ or annoying size they come in, at least not at this level of athletic endeavor.
It's not that she's not interested, it's that she physically can't stomach them. The large fish oil pills make her gag and the fish oil liquid is even worse (even the Carlson's lemon-flavored). Sigh.

Given her knee pains, migraines, etc. I think that it's absolutely worth it to her from a quality of life POV to take more fish oil. It's just that she doesn't like pills or the liquid. At this point, the athletic endeavors are far less important and are not a factor in terms of the fish oil.

Quote:
I find that finding balance with (not eliminating) alcohol, added sugar and dairy in the diet help best for fueling workouts and recovery and inflamation control. Don't forget adequate (not necessarily excessive) protein.
Agreed on this... I am positive she is not getting enough protein.

Quote:
I also think a more general strength focus to her programming might help. Get her doing more bodyweight exercises and scale the dumbell work accordingly.

Try to get her in to a certified A.R.T. therapist. That stuff heals injuries fast! 3 sessions did more for me (hip tendonitis) than 5 months with a traditional PT.
Will do, thanks!

Quote:
I guess the other big thing I would ask is if she knows what her fitness goals are? If they are not defined then likely trying to find a program for her is just shooting at a moving target. Make sure her priorities are the same ones that you see for her.
Unfortunately she has not been willing to talk to me about these goals for some reason. I think she was reluctant to regard training as anything other than having fun in the gym and did not want to be all serious about it. She has been training with me for several months now and may have had a bit of change of perspective. I'll ask her again.

My primary goals for her at this point are to restore some mobility to the shoulder and gain some remedial strength. She has gone from doing 5 painful push-ups on the kitchen counter to doing 5-10 push-ups with no shoulder pain on the ground (from her knees). This is a tremendous start!

Quote:
Sleep, life's stresses and motivation are more important than they used to be at this stage for her. If she is not stressing over work or family then she can get by on less sleep but if there is a lot going on in other areas of life then working on getting lots if sleep goes a long way.
Unfortunately she sleeps about 4-6 hours a night, and claims she has been this way for most of her adult life. I know that some people seem to do ok on less sleep, but 5 hours per night?! I don't expect her to change this at all, though, so it's kinda moot.

Quote:
I hope I am not out of line with my comments and your knowledge/experience. I just find that living "this side" of the fitnesss and age equation is a lot different than what I thought it would be as a younger fitness enthusiast.
Not at all... thanks so much for your thoughts!

I think I am decently knowledgeable in working with novice clients who have few mobility problems. Working with older clients with multiple (and severe) mobility issues, and with very different goals, has been a challenge for me. I lack the technical knowledge to improve their mobility quickly, and I lack the experience in dealing with people who are motivated by different goals than I am. So, I appreciate your insights and comments!
Jae Chung is offline   Reply With Quote