View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Germano View Post
Then how does one explain the "6 week body makeover" of Michael Thurmon which includes very little exercise or the results of Atkins or Atkins-type, locarb weight loss programs?

I myself lost over forty pounds over a six month period, a full year ago. I quit my usual light dumbbell/resistance bands exercise in favor of yoga, especially the deep breathing exercises, during the losing period.

I'm back to regular, light exercise (I'm sixty six, five ten and one seventy five) and haven't gained or lost more than one or two pounds since losing the original forty pounds. I certainly don't have a six-pack, and although not entirely flat, I certainly don't carry any visible paunch.

I think sometimes diet is enough. Just my take on the subject.
What you described is the concept of individual variability.

The purpose of research studies is to see whether or not the results produced are significantly large enough to disprove the possible sampling error from inherent individual variability. I haven't seen the statistics on this study, so I don't know if they are legit, but I assume that if it's a peer reviewed study, the statistics are trustworthy.

The better criticism of the paper is that it was done on monkeys. Yes they are good representations of humans and I find the insights of the study to be good. Normally at the end of these studies, the researchers themselves say that human testing is necessary. They don't say, "well my friend billy joe lost weight eating cheese and apples, so we think our results might be wrong."
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote