View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Derek Simonds

Kevin I just read through all the posts and I agree with Gant completely. In fact so much that I might change my current 5/3/1 routine to one that matches what he laid out.

I have been on 5/3/1 for the last year, the flexibility of it keeps my strength high and going higher all the time and it lets me adapt to how I am training. This week I am training for 2 to 2:30 a night plus a tournament on Saturday all as prep work for my big tournament of the year on the 22nd. I did FS and Press on Monday with no assistance work and I will bench and DL tomorrow. Other than that it is all about BJJ.

I came at this whole deal from a triathlon background and was weak as circus lemonade. I did have some serious work capacity though and that is what got me through my first year grappling. I am back to thinking that I need to add back in LSD after ignoring it for the last couple of years.

Where do you train? I fought in Grapplers Quest a couple of weeks ago here in Orlando. It was truly F'ed up and I hope that your tourney doesn't have the same problems this one did!
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote