View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Steve Shafley

In 1990 I bought a Giant ATX 770 mountain bike that was a year old. I paid just over half it's price new. Was ~$500 at the time and was Giant's second best mountain bike.

I rode it to work and school for 2-3 years when the weather was cooperating. I rode it for the pleasure of riding it a lot. I rode it to the bar, and I rode it to and from the mechanic's shop when my beater car was getting fixed (~20 mile ride), and I rode it too and from the gym and rugby practice.

In 1996 I gave it to my brother to take to Colorado with him, in 2001 he gave it back to me, a bit more beat up, the red dust of the trails outside Carbondale on it still. I haven't washed it since, either.

2 sets of tires, 1 seat. I set of bar ends. I do need to get it tuned up because some gears skip and I would like to replace the handgrips.

I still ride the thing 3-4 times a week. Usually with my daughter on the back on a tagalong, but sometimes I'll go for a 6-10 mile ride as fast as I can make it.

My wife asks me if I want a new bike, and, honestly, I kind of do. I kind of want to get one with the bigger tires, and I kind of want one with a full suspension, and I sometimes think I can make my old one a fixie, and that would be cool.

But, fuck me, I've been riding this bike longer than both my marriages and longer than I've had kids.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote