View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #27
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Great thread. Wanted to ask folks, why a 531 template (sticking with base moves for long-ish duration) vs a MEBB approach of rotating the strength work. Let's say something like Gant's program, but in lieu of 531, a rotating battery of ME moves?
I agree with Grissim about the simplicity and not having to think about it. I program a month in advance, post the excel spreadsheet in my gym and I am done other than showing up.

The other part is three-fold. I get a real clear indication of my level of overtraining / underrecovering from the workouts. With very linear numbers on the same lifts week over week I know exactly how I am tracking and can compensate accordingly. If I feel I am starting to push too far I will cut out the accessory work. If I need to I will only strength train 2 days a week. Lots of flexibility for me to work within this framework without having to give it too much attention. Secondly I am truly a linear person, Knowing up front every day what lifts and numbers I need to hit for the set and rep scheme just works for me. The last part is that I have had the most significant gains ever using this protocol so my own little 5/3/1 BB has definitely passed.

I know that there is a ton of flexibility in the MEBB approach. I watch Coach Rut in my google reader all the time and like the MEBB approach. I am sure if I programmed it a month in advance with actual numbers I could get the same results, just haven't been that motivated to try it since I have been having good success with the 5/3/1

Robb I thought about my reply a lot and hope that it is clear enough.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote