View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
James Evans

10 Step Ups
Manmakers with sensible dbs
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

So, that's 100 step ups followed by 10 manmakers then 90 step ups followed by 9 manmakers etc.

All done wearing a 20kg vest or pack.

I did this recently in prep for a little expedition here in the UK and it sucked more than I remembered. Utterly mindnumbing. Cheers Rob Shaul.

I had planned to do a lot of step ups and leg blasters over the last 12 months as per the Mountain Athlete approach and instead I just did the stuff I enjoyed, back squats, dls, box jumps, a bit of skipping and a lot of walking. I've done the odd high rep bodyweight squat session as a finisher and I've run only 6 times this year (one of which was 9 reps of hill sprints).

The weekend before last I climbed the 3 highest mountains in the UK in under 24 hours and I didn't feel let down by my training whatsoever. On a global stage Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon are hardly monstrous but they're not easy in the same day.

Take home? Strength + a bit of circuit type work + sport specific (long walks with a back, often into the early morning) hits the spot. Overthinking and seeking the silver bullet doesn't.