Thread: Leon's log
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

BJJ

Warm-up

Light jogging, hip escapes, rolls, breakfalls, hand and grip fighting.

Techniques

From Sitting guard

Everything building from partners opposite arm with a pistol grip. First one was to scoot the hips in close pressing his arm to the chest and then with the free hand securing a deep underhook with a belt/gi grip. A quick subtle shift to the opposite side of the trapped arm then roll off to the side, elevate with one hook, plant the other on the floor to push up and lift with the arm thatís trapping.

Tried a variation of this which felt a like it was a difficult one to master and also felt low percentage, this one was same set up except you took one hook and placed it on the floor on the outside of your partners guard, felt like there was too much space and an easy opportunity to recover.

After this we did a sweep which was pretty much the same except we had a collar and elbow tie, I can see this one being prtty high percentage, but more of a one to catch somebody off-guard. Kind of judo chop the neck and elbow at the same time from BFG then do the traditional sweep.

One of my favourite sweeps, from BFG with a pistol grip simply jump back pulling the opponent forward and onto his knees, scoot out to the side a little then because you already have one hook in itís easy to take the back from there.

Isolation sparring rounds in BFG working on the techniques, the jump back was really high percentage but I had quite a bit of difficulty with the other two.

Free SparringÖ

Rolled with one of my coaches first and towards the end of a 6 minute round I got too caught up in not getting subbed and reverted to hand fighting from the bottom while he had side control. I should really have gotten straight to my side and worked my escapes, got grilled for it as itís a school boy error. So for the rest of the night I played off bottom being pretty passive until my partner either had side or mount and then worked on my escapes diligently. Things went well just as soon as I worked technique, lesson learned.

It was a warm session tonight on the mats but because I was rolling with quite experienced guys it was relatively chilled, unlike Saturdays which are generally balls to the wall.

Finished up with some press-ups, sit-ups, squats and some HSPU. Nothing serious just killing time while I waited for one of the lads to roll out and get changed.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote