View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Hict?
High Intensity Continuous Training

Quote:
If you want to burn fat like none other then get on a versaclimber, crank the resistance up as high as possible and go for 2 sets of 20 minutes keeping your heart rate in the 160s. Nothing will stimulate fat loss more than that because the high resistance will mean you're using a ton of fast twitch and slow twitch fibers and it's upper and lower body. Believe me it's brutally hard but it works. It will also improve your aerobic conditioning very effectively too.

If you don't have access to a versaclimber you can use a spin bike with the resistance cranked way up so you're only able to manage 20-30rpm and accomplish the same thing but without the upper body's involvement. It's not as effective as the versaclimber but it still works. I'm going to order a Jacobs Ladder soon and experiment with that, I think it could be harder and more effective than the versaclimber possibly but we'll see.

Yes they are brutal but very effective. Keep your heart rate under your anaerobic threshold, which will be about 5-10bpm lower than it is when running. Essentially what you're accomplishing is the same thing as an interval but for much longer periods of time. One of the principle reasons intervals are effective is that the shorter higher intensity work recruits the fast twitch fibers but since it's high velocity they also fatigue quickly and you have to rest. The method I'm describing is such low frequency, i.e. low velocity, that you can do it for a long time and the fast twitch fibers are recruited because of the high resistance. It's a very effective method but yes it is not fun either. I'll call it HICT for high intensity continuous training or something like that, ha. Now if only I could get Tabata's marketing agent.

HICT is not targeting the heart so much as the muscles oxidative abilities themselves, specifially the fast twitch oxidative-glycolytic fibers to be exact. It's different than cardiac output work. Remember there is two sides to energy production, supply from the cardiovascular system and demand from the neuromuscular system. You need to develop both sides of the equation together in the right order and with the right methods to really improve your conditioning.
I never got up to 2 sets of 20 min. I think I've done up to about 2 sets of 12 min. I still got great results. I did step-ups because I didn't have the VersaClimber or Jacob's Ladder. It sort of felt like rucking slightly uphill.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote