Thread: Leon's log
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #25
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I have never taken the back from de la riva. I understand completely what you are doing and find it amusing that I haven't done that before. I have done a similar pass from standing but never on the ground. Glad I read that. I get de la riva all the time. At the state championships this year I won my last match with 2 points from a de la riva sweep. I couldn't pass the guy once I swept him but got the 2 for the win.

I also have been working on taking the back from the guard. Most of my techniques are derivatives of Roger Gracie (I am not quite as tall but not far off in total size) moves. I had a private and worked on them for an hour.

I can now take the back from closed guard using a simple grip. It turns out that the grip is the key part. You loosen the gi on the right side, sit up into your opponent and reach around their back with your left hand and grab under their right armpit. Ideally with your right hand you pass their gi to your left hand and you can grab it tight right under their armpit. From there just lay back to your right side open guard and use your right leg to push their right knee away and pull them back into you with your left arm. Voila great back control.

I am enjoying the blog. You ought to do a shameless plug in the fighting section or at least here in your log.
I find it really natural to take the back from de la riva but depending on who i'm rolling with it can be tough to get the second hook in. If you're a points player then you'd only get the advantage I think, but you still have a lot of submission and transition opportunities. For you it will be a good technique because as i'm a lowly 2 stripe white belt i'm still figuring a lot out. I'm beginning to analyse less and do more, things are becoming more natural but I just don't have a big arsenal.

Did you see the Braulio technique on the blog? Is the grip that you're talking about that one but with an underhook? I'm thinking the overhook so that the arm doesnt base or resist... I think i'm with you.

Glad that you're liking the blog, can you think of anything else that could be put up to make it better?
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote