View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
James Evans

Yael

Note I said 'coffee table book'. I'm an exercise geek and I like looking at pretty pictures of people doing press ups and pull ups. I could afford to buy the book and it interests me. I think I could probably speak for Shaf here too.

Does it make my life better. Ultimately no.

The book is a companion piece to Training for Warriors. Rooney makes that abundantly clear in his introduction. That previous book breaks down exercise selection for areas of the body, explains the reasons for training those areas in relation to the requirements of MMA, covers conditioning, nutrition, making weight, programming. As I said, I haven't finished reading the new book but it does go into programming and nutrition + testing in a number of areas. Again, it's written to be used in conjunction with the previous book. Is that a hustle? I did ponder over that.

I can't recall the exercises in the BJJ section beyond a load of stuff on Copacabana Beach but there is a shedload of grip biased movements throughout the other martial arts that are covered. Should it be Rooney's prerogative to spoon feed the reader through the fundamentals of S & C? No, not in this case. He went on a world tour, I think mostly for his own education and this is the final product. A labour of love to a subject he takes very seriously. I believe he has a support forum that you could use to ask further questions about context if that was required but sometimes it's nice to be able to think for yourself.

I do find the title a bit unfortunate with the very overt suggestion of an insight into 'teh Secretz', but I was happy to pay 20 on a book full of quality colour photos of pull ups, press ups etc. I would be less happy to pay 30 for Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning only to find it was some crappy black & white photos of a fat guy doing hindu pushups, squats and the crab, printed on recycled toilet paper.