View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Jarod Barker

Default Why lie? I'm a mess.... I REALLY need help

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on here in forever. I haven't had time to use the computer for anything but work in forever as well. In any case, now I'm going to have lots of time to catch up.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I thought it would be easier to get it all out at once instead just telling a piece at a time.

So, before I begin, I've already spent the past few hours reading through all 12 pages of the recovery threads. I have sifted through and found a few pieces here and there that may apply, but I've got sort of a perfect storm of problems.

I'm 26 years old, and I've been training consistently for 7 years.

I was following a program of training 5 days a week. Most of the workouts took an hour to complete, are generally a Crossfit style design, but have an emphasis on running, swimming, longer duration. An example might be, Run 2 miles, then 10 rounds of 5 deadlifts, 10 pullups, and 15 thrusters, then swim 1000 yards. I followed the program to the letter and made great progress. I started the program last September 2009.

Then in January 2010, I got the flu. In February, I got the flu again. In March, I fractured my tibia. Also in March, my doc sent me for bloodwork to make sure something wasn't wrong that made my tibia fracture so easily. Instead, they became concerned about my low T level (427 ng/dl) and my high cortisol levels. I was sent for all kinds of tests including a cosyntropin stimulation test which was extremely unpleasant. In any case, the endocrinologist decided that I had just overtrained myself to the point where my cortisol levels were actually becoming detrimental. Natually, with a fractured tibia, I had some down time. It was a minor fracture, so by April I was back to training. In June, I fractured my metatarsals, tore the lisfranc, and strained the ATF.

It has been 6 weeks, the foot isn't healed yet.... I decided to go to a massage therapist, the same one the Pittsburgh Steelers use. I was hoping that since I've got the cast off, he could get some tissue work started and hopefully my muscles in my leg would recover faster. He started with my back and shoulders. He pointed out that I had torqued ribs, tears in my rhomboids, lats, and traps, as well as substantial fibrosis in my erectors and I've forgotten the name, but the little muscles that attach to the spinus processes. It's quite bad between my shoulder blades. In fact, we spent 3 hours just working on my back and never even made it to my legs, we're going to start there next time.

So.... there's the skinny on things. Part of me is wondering if it's possible to have somehow "demineralized" myself or something from the overtraining?

Is there a way to get back on track? The muscle issues really worry me because if my back is that bad, my legs are going to be even worse. I don't want any more injuries. I just want to get back into training and moving forward.

I'm already taking a multi, calcium, super cissus, vitamin D, and a joint complex with glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM in it.

Naturally, rest is my primary activity right now. I sit around on my butt all day waiting for my foot to heal, take hot baths, and sleep as much as I can.

I spoke with all of my doctors about my injuries and how to approach recovery, I was shocked (but maybe because I live with my head in the sand) how my doctors actually suggested that I use growth hormone or anabolic steroids. In fact, the endocrinologist wanted to put me on testosterone, and the ortho thought that HGH locally injected into the fracture site would cut the recovery time in half. I didn't hint at either, they just flat out suggested it like they were suggesting a multi vitamin or something. Like I said though, maybe I live with my head in the sand.

Well, thank you very much if you read all of that, I know it was long, but I wanted to create a clear picture. I would greatly appreciate all and any advice, guidance, or insight anyone can share with me. Thanks so much!
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote