View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Sorry, I missed seeing this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Thank you Garrett, you're spot on with your assessment. My cholesterol was screwed up, and I thought that was unusual. My total was 222, triglycerides were 109, HDL was 44, and LDL was 156. I've never had bad cholesterol levels in my life, so I just thought it was a fluke.
Not a fluke. It fits the pattern. It will rectify with proper approaches. If I were you, I would NOT go on a statin for this.

Quote:
My free testosterone was 10.0, but the doc kept repeating the 427 number as his reasoning for wanting me to use testosterone. I can't help being skeptical though, because if I sign on for a lifetime of testosterone injections, that's money in his bank account, so no offense to any doctors, but I kind second guess whether or not his advice is in my best interest. Like I said, I'm 26, so I'm not exactly eager to start down a path of TRT as it would really interfere with my personal goals for my life.
You are young and doing (mostly) healthy things for yourself, other than your excessive exercise. IMO, testosterone should be last on your list right now.
Quote:
My baseline cortisol level was 24.010 ug/dL which they said was high. However, they were unable to diagnose anything like Cushing's or Addison's. So, maybe that did have some role to play in my recent fractures. I don't know if that level ever came back down.
This high cortisol level means that your training is over-the-top for you at this time.
Quote:
What's strange to me is everything was going great and I was progressing from September to December, and then everything just seemed so abrupt. With the back to back flus, the fractured tibia, the bloodwork issues with cortisol, and then the fractured metatarsals and ligament tears, I've barely been able to get any sustained training in. Shouldn't the time off from the flus and then the time off from the fractured tibia been enough time for my body to have recovered?
What you experienced was the "calm before the storm". Progress for four months followed by a major crash means that what you were doing is not sustainable for you right now, maybe not ever. Hour-long CF workouts done one or more times a week will ruin nearly anyone who has any other types of responsibilities (job, family, post-grad studies, etc.). The flus were a sign that you needed a lot more time off and easier training, not just the time you took off for feeling sick. You ignored the signs your body was trying to give you.
Quote:
Forgive for whining "why me" but I can't understand how it could be that other guys are still following the programming, and somehow I became overtrained. What is the difference that allowed them to continue training while I'm muddling through problems?
People's stress levels and ability to deal with stress is both built by nature and nurture. I can't sprint as fast as Tyson Gay, I realize this, and I deal with what I was dealt. I don't tolerate much training stress well. I used to get a cold like clockwork if I trained 5 weeks straight. I don't get sick anymore now that I follow 5/3/1 and actually take the deload week more like a week "off". This is a learning experience for you.
Quote:
I'm seeing another doc with the Steelers on Monday, but I may contact you for a consult. I'm not particularly pleased with the recommendations and advice I'm getting from these doctors.
I'm not surprised. Don't expect much.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote