Thread: whey protein?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #29
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I think you're missing the point Derek and I are trying to make here. Sure adding 1/2 - 2/3 lbs of meat to a eucaloric diet will result in weight gain, to deny that would be stupid. However as protein in excess of 1.8-2g/kg/d is oxidized to provide energy all that additional meat is doing really is providing the extra calories required for growth. In other words if your diet already provided sufficent protein you'd get exactly the same results, at least in terms of weight gained, if you met your increased caloric needs with Twinkies or table sugar.
I think you and I are on more common ground that I had previously realized.

Ideas on enough protein may be a little different, but I just realized that 2g/kg/d is damn near to 1g/lb/day.

I would still suggest people aim for a little more protein, cause they'll likely end up lower than their goal. Track carbs as necessary. Shoot for less fat, as passive over-consumption is a legit issue, and actual fat needs are quite low with the exception of n-3 intake. It's not hard to get a substantial amount of fat in the diet from protein sources alone.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote