View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
Jarod Barker

I think I read in a book on running injuries that 90% of recreational runners will suffer an injury in any given year. Now, to keep that in perspective, I imagine to get a number that high they're taking every little injury from a mild sprain to a herniated disc, but in any case, running definitely "causes" many injuries.

Perhaps, the POSE community has the right idea in teaching running as a skill. I've had years of coaching on proper bench press and squatting technique, and I have not sustained an injury from bench pressing or squatting. Even when working with weights beyond my 1 rep max, I've learned how to safely miss a lift. However, I've had but one weekend of running instruction.

Robb, we've talked about this multiple times. I think as an athlete, especially a highly motivated athlete working towards a goal, there is a certain unexplainable willingness to follow a coach's programming. I realize that training for health and fitness is something that needs to be adjusted carefully, shorter met cons, more focus on strength work, more recovery time.

But how should one prepare for "endurance" type training schools like SFAS, Ranger School, RIP, Q course, BUD/S, etc.? Is there a certain level of overtraining that would provide sort of a "hormesis" to protect the body during those courses? Is it even possible to avoid overtraining while going through such a course?

I know Poliquin has spoken about what he calls "super accumulation" where you overtrain purposely and then when you take time off your body over compensates and you supposedly gain more strength, endurance, etc than you could on a linear training plan, but I've never witnessed nor experienced that.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote