View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #1867
Derek Simonds

17 September 2010 Lunch

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat:

Drilled for 25 minutes with one of my friends on all the stuff I have been working lately. Had a great go with him and cleaned up some of the moves I have been working. Then I had the privilege to grapple with a couple of our black belts. The first guy I ended up with closed guard secured my favorite underhook collar grab and then he shoved my other hand under my body to his hand I had trapped behind my back. It effectively was his free hand against me with no hands as both my hands were busy. It was a very interesting position for a few moments. And if a guy is strong that is very hard grip to break. Unfortunately after a scramble he tried to pull me into a triangle and I dropped my knee to block and kneed him square in the family jewels... I apologized to him profusely as I know how bad that sucks!

I grappled with Fabin after that for about 20 minutes. It was incredible. He is so dynamic and I spend way too much time defending but that my friends is the difference in skill. We had several rolling sweeps where I was sure I had him and yet somehow he was never where I planned by the time we landed. I used an MMA guard pass and was just about clear when he got an inside out arm lock on me and I begged for mercy. Worst part is I saw it coming and just couldn't react fast enough.

During one of the rolls with Fabin as I was escaping side control he tried to turn into me and secure my head and I ate a vicious elbow to the button. I saw stars momentarily and then muddled on with my escape. Whenever that happens I always think about a quote I heard somewhere paraphrased here. "Everybody has a plan until they get hit square in the kisser!" I agree.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote