View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Barrow View Post
For Daryl (or anybody who happened to glance at the paper/position stand he provided)...

"Maximal endogenous glycogen stores are best promoted by following a high-glycemic, high-carbohydrate (CHO) diet (600 – 1000 grams CHO or ~8 – 10 g CHO/kg/d)"

Am I understanding this correctly? At 90kg BW, to maximally restore gylcogen I would require 8-10g per kg BW = 720-900g carbs? Given that this would give me around 3500cals alone, I'm definitely getting this mixed up right??!!
You know where I said "If you want to drive yourself crazy....." lol.

Okay, here's how you make all this work for you without going crazy....

1: That figure of 8-10gCHO/kg/d is only really relevant to full time professional athletes or those with physically demanding jobs who also work out. A more general recommendation would be to aim for a CHO intake of 6-10g/kg/d.

2: If the numbers still don't seem right with a lower intake of ~6gCHO/kg/d you might be underestimating your calorie requirements.

3: Once you've got a rough ballpark figure of how much CHO you need go to www.nutritiondata.com and work out roughly how much food you'd need to eat to hit that target. If the volume of food seems ridiculously large look for more energy dense carb sources eg. rice instead of potatoes or whatever.

4: Devise a few simple meal plans which include some healthy snacks that get you to somewhere around your target CHO intake.

5: Finally with all that done just forget about the numbers and eat regular meals that are based around some kind of starchy carbs plus a few healthy between meals snacks and increase or decrease your food intake depending on how you feel.

Note: If all that seems like too much hard work ignore steps 1-4 and do step 5, the results will probably be the same either way.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote