View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
This is good advice for experienced players, but I don't teach this to noobs.

Combos/fakes: A combo is effective when it is a sequence of good stand-alone throws or a really good setup (fake). When beginners try combos, they usually give do a really crappy fake with no kuzushi (off-balancing) before moving to their primary technique. This leaves them dead in the water.

A good way to teach combos (IMO) is to teach them to actually try a throw--get blocked--and move to the next. E.g. Tori attempts right o soto gari; uke steps back with his right; tori hits o uchi gari (or uchi mata, tai otoshi, etc.).

Throwing from both sides: The opinions are mixed. We all agree that students should be taught to throw from both sides. The question remains as to whether they should be taught from both sides at once.

I'd say a large majority teach one-sided judo (I am part of that). The motor patterns are hard enough to learn and can be easily confused. Despite learning one-sided judo myself, I threw two opponents for ippon last year with left-side throws despite never having practiced them. Once a throw it hard-wired, your body seems to be able to translate it. At least mine was. BTW, I work off both sides now and it works fine.

The other school of thought is that since everybody should learn how to throw off both sides that you may as well start this way. I don't know anybody personally who teaches this way, but I know there are some respected high dans around the world who do. I think it would be really difficult to start with this, as everybody has a natural pivot that makes learning one side easier.
Gant, these are some great posts on the subject. Really makes me want to try judo.

I'm a powerlifter (trying to be anyway) and it seems like judo would be pretty hard on the body.

How much would you say it affects lifting?

How often would you recommend someone getting in to judo train it? Couple times a week? More?
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote