View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It's true that you adapt to the stimulus.

But if you don't it sends you into the pit of hell called overtraining that may take weeks, months or years to recover from depending on how bad it is.

The major thing is that the greater the stress on the body the bigger adaptations you can build, but if you cross the line of your body's limits to adapt you will crash and crash hard.

The biochemistry is for the most part correct for general adaptation syndrome, and for the neurotransmitter stuff though.

I mean, I crashed from trying to do maximal intensity strength training for 5-6 days a week for months at a time even with week breaks here and there in my training. Not everyone has good genetics to adapt to super heavy all the time.

In the soviet and bulgarian and now chinese system they throw thousands of athletes into the meat grinder.... only a few make it out but those few set world records. Is that a good way to train for everyone? Probably not. But if you can do it then more power to you... just don't expect everyone else to be able to.

Last edited by Steven Low; 09-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote