View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Jarod Barker

Thanks guys

I do see in the programming that they are lifting the same basic lifts day after day. Broz recommends training 3x a week and then adding another day as soon as possible and working your way up to 7x a week. Then to start adding 2x a day sessions. I also see that it's low reps per set, but very heavy. Although, he does state that it's often 50 reps per workout. But yes, it is completely opposite of CF.

I'm just hung up on the neurobiology part. Like Steven said, the soviet/bulgarian/chinese programs throw thousands of athletes into this program and only a select few make it out.

If the explanation of adaptation and neurotransmitters is correct, what I'm wondering is are only certain people able to adapt? Is there some variable that makes some people adapt?

In just 16 weeks, I dug myself quite a hole. I believe I've been to the "dark times," but I obviously did not have a favorable adaptation. Perhaps I'm being myopic, but I often look at science, like biochemistry, as laws of cause and effect.

If stress hormones, like cortisol, cause a favorable adaptation to training over time, what I can't understand is why I had such a negative outcome. I've also seen articles citing marathon runners who suddenly started suffering numerous stress fractures due to high cortisol levels.

Does this programming and stress adaptation only apply to heavy weightlifting? It seems to me that if it is neurological in nature, then all stressors regardless whether it's weightlifting or running, should eventually result in a positive adaptation as you "get used" to the stress.

The science makes sense to me, but I've just never seen it in real life application.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote