View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Please note that the people who work up to 7+ sessions a week and even more than that usually start lifting from a pretty young age.

These guys have 5+ years under their belt most of the time before they even begin to hit that 7x a week marker... and usually at least 10 before they start hitting 2x a day most weeks.

This is true for athletes not just in weightlifting but in football and other sports that use weightlifting for strength/power building activities. Heck, same thing with the elite endurance athletes too. You're not going to be building up to 5-10 mile runs 2 times per day for 6-7 days a week in a few years. That takes years to build up to that kind of volume.

That's the major divide I am seeing honestly between most people who think they're ready for programs with high frequency vs. people who actually are.

Do you have training base upon which your strength/neural/etc. foundation has been laid to even attempt a much higher frequency of using the system (your body) or did you become so anxious to become "elite" that you either neglected to prepare your body adequately for the stimulus?

When I invariably ask people who overtrained going high frequency it's generally people who have lifted for less than 5 years, who are attempting to go 7+ times per week with high intensity.

----------------------------

My "theory" if you will is to add an extra training session per week every YEAR you've been training.

You start with 3x per week... then up it by 1 day per week every year (or when playing with more than 6x per week every other year if not a teenager with massive amounts of hormones). This allows adequate time to adapt to the frequency, and with planned deloads should be enough time to recover and adapt.

Does that make sense? Do you think it's logical?

Personally, most people will glean a lot of progress from 4-5x a week, and don't need to put so much stress on the body. It's not likely you're going to be an elite athlete if you haven't been training since you were a kid. So if you're an adult wanting to go high frequency without a training base as a kid, I would seriously reconsider why you want to do this..

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-22-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote