View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Chad, I believe the hole you dug was in process for a lot longer than 16 weeks....
I won't disagree with you there. I'm sure my years of abusing my CNS and disregard for periodization and recovery played a serious role. But, at least in my mind, I picture it as, here I was kicking ass, sub 4 minute Fran, Diane, Grace, Elizabeth, benchmark workouts. Then I trained my ass off for 16 weeks, and suddenly the "machine" started "malfunctioning" and I wasn't feeling more like my ass was getting kicked by the workouts. But yes, you're completely correct, this was a long process.

I'm not bashing Broz, as a matter of fact, I'm quite impressed with him and his gym. I'm just struggling to understand the science of the article I posted. I'm not trying to criticize his programming either. It's not like he created Bulgarian training, but I find his implementation of it very intriguing. I'm simply trying to make sense of what I'm reading and figure out how he does it.

I know this seems out of left field, but here's where my thought process started.

Way back when, in another lifetime, I was a hockey player. I woke up at 4am, went to rink and practiced for an hour, went to school, went back to rink at 3pm, went home for dinner and homework, and then went back to rink that evening for a game or a practice. I did that 5-7 days a week, from about 10 to 17 years old. I cannot recall ever feeling "overtrained." Sure, playoffs I was beaten black and blue. And when at 16, I started trying to play junior hockey in an under 20 league, I got beaten so bad I had teachers asking me if my parents were abusing me, but I was never feeling "beaten down" from the volume of training.

In college, I was a runner. I worked my way up to 10 miles a day, five days a week. I'd get up and run 5, go to class all day, and then run 5 more after classes. I also weighed 110 pounds standing at 5'8". I also had a max back squat of 50 pounds just to keep things in perspective During that time, I don't remember feeling "overtrained" either.

Then I found Gym Jones, and later Crossfit. And once I started doing Crossfit, I started getting into overtraining.

Now, reading Broz's post, it sounds to me like if you just keep pushing through the "dark times" your body will just adapt, and you'll have a positive adaptation to the stressors. Now, perhaps this adaptation happened to me during those years when I played hockey and was running all those senseless miles during college.

But, following Crossfit, suddenly that adaptation doesn't occur? Or further, when my training shifted towards a mix of Crossfit and long swims and runs, the favorable adaptation to training volume didn't occur. According to the neurobiologist in the article, my body should've just upregulated the necessary neurotransmitters.

As Dr. G pointed out, the randomness of exercises and long distance training is a recipe for disaster. But, in line with what Steven was saying about having a training base built from a young age, I kind of thought I had one.

Now, having experienced the effects of overtraining and the stress fractures and injuries that seem to just come out of nowhere, I can't imagine trying to follow a program that has you squatting 6 days a week or lifting 2x a day 7 days a week even if you worked up to it adding 1 session per year.

I guess I have a few answers so far though, which leads me to believe that this type of training can only be applied to weightlifting, and that the loading of volume is a long term process.

I've been googling this for 2 days now, and I still cannot find an explanation that satisfies my curiosity. I just can't understand why if it's all a neurological adaptation and you can adapt to a sport as demanding and stressing as weightlifting; why then could you not adapt to long distance running, Crossfit, or other programs?
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote