View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Moore View Post
Currently, I eat lots of whole barley (boiled as you would rice, this is the lowest glycemic index grain), winter squash of all kinds, salad vegetables of all kinds.

....and unlike my past low-carb efforts, maybe incorporating some "friendly carbs" like sweet potatoes, winter squash, etc.
Those are all great sources of CHO and you can eat them all ad libitum but, and this is something I never thought I'd have to say on this forum, I think you need to increase your fat intake.

The reason for this is paleo sources of CHO such as roots, tubers, whole grains and fruit generally have a lower calorie density than refined non-paleo carbs. This isn't a problem if you lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle but if you workout it makes it much harder to eat enough to maintain energy balance unless you're prepared to eat an heroically large volume of food or increase your fat intake.

Eating fattier cuts of meat would be one way of increasing your fat intake but that would also increase your saturated fat intake which, contrary to popular belief, is not a smart thing to do. Instead you'd be better off adding a little, and I do mean a little, extra virgin olive oil* to your diet. I'd also recommend eating more nuts** as they're a good source of fat, protein and many other nutrients and have many well documented health benefits.

* Note: Olive oil isn't strictly paleo as it's a neolithic food but it's better to increase your MUFA intake rather than increase your saturated fat intake or increase your PUFA intake above your requirement for EFA's.

** If you're interested I posted some abstracts and links to studies on the health benefits of nuts here.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote