View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Catherine Imes

It could definitely be a met-con blast, but is definitely applicable to those interested in increasing snatch numbers or strength endurance.

Relatively heavy swings (for me that's 24kg or 32kg) are a very anaerobic exercise. They are much faster paced than snatches because there is no lockout or stop (obvious). Your grip and your wind will get taxed much faster. I reckon I do about 40rpm. So, when I've done 75L/75R. I do the 75L, rest 30 seconds, then do the 75R. I'm not at a point where I can do them back to back..at least not without breaking up the reps.

Note, i'm not talking about the "American Swing" Overhead, I'm talking about the Russian Swing to chest level.

A really fun (haha) thing that I like to do is rowing and swings circuits (maybe throw in some thrusters or jerks too). So, I might row 500M, do 50/50 Swings, and then maybe something else..

I'm a kettlebell sport competitor. I view swings as an anaerobic component to my training that will tax my grip and posterior chain. But, even when I'm not training for a specific competition, I view the swings as a very good key exercise. They can be done relatively safely while fatigued. I've also experienced a fair amount of hypertrophy in my back and biceps from the heavy/high rep swings.
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote