Thread: Costochondritis
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I have a "templated" post for this which may help:

costchondritis/tietze syndrome:

So you can give yourself costcondritis/tietze syndrome/etc. by aggravating your costal cartilages by doing this.

Since the origin of the pecs is on the sternum and partially on the costal cartilages, if you haven't used your chest in resistance trainig much before the connective tissues aren't as strong. Thus, when you do a deep movement where you erally stretch out the pecs like dips, the origin of the muscle on the costal cartilages can start to pull them away from the costal facets on the sternum

Obviously, this creates inflammation and in general can lead to some popping and hurting.

Best thing you can do is REST AND LET IT HEAL. Take your anti-inflammatories to help decrease inflammation and allow healign to occur. Fish oil is always good. Massage to teh area works as well.

Ice if it helps. Otherwise, once it starts feeling better use heat to stimulate more blood flow to encourage faster healing from the body since the area does not get a lot of blood flow as it is bone/cartilage in that area.

Keep the muscles working through full but non-weight bearing and non-painful range of motion so that the muscles don't tighten up on you, and the muscle movement will also help stimulate blood flow to the area as well.

Usually, if you didn't chronically aggravate you should be able to get back to exercising within a week.

Just avoid the exercise that aggravates it for a while, and focus on other exercises that are less intense of the chest... and then work your way back into these SLOWLY so you don't reaggravate your condition.
I have never heard of tietze syndrome before your post. I looked it up and that's what it sounds like. What I can't understand is what I'm doing when I shoulder press that irritates it. I'm fine with dips, bench press, pushups, etc, but something about shoulder presses must just hit it right. I can even jerk without irritating it. I'll try heat because ice did nothing for it all day.

Is there anything I should be worried about? Like the muscle ripping off the bone or popping a rib out or something? Is this a warning sign for something more serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
You ever try getting a lacrosse ball deep into your pecs, especially up near the clavicle? It's been on the MobilityWOD a couple times, I always get trigger points to release when I do it, it could be related to some sort of upper pec and/or subclavius tightness.

Prolotherapy to the joints that are typically affected could help to tighten up the ligaments. Nightshade avoidance can help to reduce pain and popping quite a bit for sensitive folks.
I've been completely avoiding nightshades since we talked. Especially difficult since we had a great late tomato crop this August and September. But I stayed away from it.

I keep reading about prolo, but it is just unreasonably expensive everywhere I've looked out here. And absolutely no one that does it will work with insurance. I did however find a post where a guy was doing his own prolo. Not sure I'm up to the task though....

I've been talking with Jeff Alexander about SMR in my shoulders, pecs, and neck. It seems like it loosens things up. But, what I find strange about this is I really have almost no muscle on my chest, so where the pain is, is nothing but bone. I'm not even sure I can stand to press a ball into the bones, and I'm not sure how much benefit I'm getting staying out by my shoulders.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote