View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Gary Gibson

Nov 1, 2010 (yesterday)

Snatch practice w/ 15-lb barbell

DB Arnold Press
50+50 lbs x 5 x 3 (last set one arm at a time)

DB Hammer Curl, alternating
40+40 lbs x 5 x 3

Nov 2, 2010 (today)

Snatch
30 kg x 1 x 6
40 kg x 1 x 3
50 kg x 1 x 2
55 kg x 1 x 2
60 kg x miss x 4, x 1
65 kg x miss x 3, x 1
68 kg x 1
70 kg x miss x 3
60 kg x miss

Front Squat
,60 kg x 3
,80 kg x 3
,90 kg x 3
100 kg x 3
110 kg x 3

Kept getting under the 70 kg, but just couldn't get it back far enough to balance. Felt slow all day. Used an ammonia capsule to wake up a bit on 65 kg. 68 kg is 96% of my recent best and isn't that bad coming back from a week-long back off.

The 110 kg FS triple was a PR, but that last rep was ugly. My arch is collapsing at the very bottom of the squat when I get tired. Arch collapsed on the second rep and then there was some leaning forward on the third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Cook View Post
IMO, there's not a huge need for high-bar back squats, if your already front squatting, low-bar would help just as much while working different muscles. As for PL, have you ever checked out Bill Starr's "No deadlift deadlift program"? It is basically about how he recommends doing the O-Lifts, the O-Lift pulls, Squats, good mornings, GHRs, etc. to increase your deadlift.

That's a good point about the low bar. I've written extensively in defense of the low bar squat with a belt. In fact, my biggest front squat (275 lbs according to my records) was back when I tested it after doing nothing but getting my low bar + belt up to over 400 lbs. For all that, however, I'm just liking high bar better these days.

My hope is that my deadlift does indeed increase without direct deadlifting most of the year. My deadlift went up pound for pound with my squat for the last couple of years, without much deadlift practice at all.
Gary Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote