View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Justin Arnold

Default Zinc upper limit?

After roughly a year of strict paleo eating (though limited variance, something I'm working on), I noticed a gradual drop in test production. After a bit of digging around here and elsewhere, a couple months back I got curious about Zinc and started supplementing. Initially I was taking 150mg/day of chelated Zinc in the morning with breakfast (no dairy), and inside of ~3 weeks I started to notice favorable "results". Then another 3 weeks go by of the same dose/meal, and all results had disappeared. So I move to 100mg/day of zinc picolinate (only started that last week).

I only got my hands on zinc tally liquid this week, and the results were not good. NO metallic/dirty taste for at least 5 minutes. nothing. Ugh. I'll try again just for verification in the next couple of days.

So, how much zinc is "safe" to take in my situation? I plan on upping the Zn supplementation, just don't know how much to go to, and definitely don't want to set myself back.

Fwiw, i seem to be a paradoxical responder to magnesium. For the first week or so of 300mg/day before bed I sleep better. After about a week though, everything goes to hell in a hand basket. Wake up every 2-3 hours, sometimes having trouble going back to sleep. The more I persist with Magnesium, the worse it gets. Stop the mag, and 2 days later I'm back to normal.

Is there anything else I'm missing here?
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote