View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Griffin View Post
I see this advice a lot, but it's a little scary in my apartment. Falling backwards is very different from falling forwards.
you need to practice rolling out of a handstand. find an open area, practice forward rolls over your shoulders. once you feel cozy with that, practice going over your head. once your good there, kick up to handstand and slowly lower as you tuck your chin to your chest and roll out. practice this a lot until you get it to be smooth. your first couple times may be bumpy if you don't round your body enough when you roll out of HS.

as for HS training, the wall holds are all great. in addition, i think practicing presses to HS have helped me a lot. this is the progression i've been using (didn't really read it anywhere, just kinda started doing it).

1. toe bounce to press => get on all fours; bounce on the balls of your feet until you feel that you can bounce your hips up and press up

2. multiple rocking to press => get on all fours; rock back and forth, putting your weight on your feet and then your hands, over and over; once you can generate enough momentum, rock forward hard and ride it up to a press

3. single vicious rock => get on all fours; keep your weight planted on your feet while your hands are light but stable on the ground; viciously rock forward bringin your weight to your hands and ride the momentum up to a press

4. single slow rock => same as the last, but try to slow down the momentum more and more

5. brute press => lean over, put your hands on the ground, and push the earth as hard as you can; slower is harder

as for leg positioning, i've just done straddles, split legs, and pike work (from easiest to hardest). some people do tucks, but i don't find it to be as helpful for me.
- try doing straddle presses a lot, and as you get more control, try to add a brief pause when your legs come to parallel w/ the ground. this is the hardest part and i think helps develop the piked one.
- the split one is something i started recently after seeing it on luis sarabia's site (which is AWESOME if you haven't been there yet). you press/kick up to HS and have one leg point up while one points the same direction as your belly button. it helps you tighten up the glutes as well as the hamstrings and lower back
- pike is just hard. i think once you can do a single slow rock to HS while straddling, you can start trying the pike stuff more.

note: i work all this on a handbalancing platform that i made. i find that it makes some of the pressing harder than the floor, but the flexibility aspects are easier.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote