View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Lance Armstrong is a great example. I hadn't thought of that. Arguably one of the best endurance athletes in the world, yet change the demand from cycling to running and he really struggled. It's not for lack of conditioning, it's lack of specificity.
I wouldn't say he struggled. He finished in under 3 hours with not a lot of training. Most people who finish under 3 hours usually have several years of consistent and competitive running under their belts before they manage that feat. He didn't come close to winning, but the point here is that he already had a huge advantage over other people who have no background in running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
In any case, Shane, didn't you run an ultramarathon at one point? I thought remembered seeing that on the NSC forum. How did you prepare for it? I'm assuming you didn't follow CFE, but I'm interested in what you found worked best.
I've done a bunch of ultramarathons, never DNF'd. I've done a 100 miler while following a strict CFE protocol and a 100 miler on my own training program, and I did better in the latter. Basically my running training consists of a long very slow run at ultramarathon pace, 1 long interval session, 1 short interval session, and sprinting session. Sometimes only 2 or 3 sessions per week. I wish I could run more but I have other training priorities.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote