View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Chad, the problem you are experiencing is very common in guys preparing for SF roles.

Without fail the ones who make it through are very mentally tough and willing to push themselves hard for log periods of time and while this is a major asset it can also be their achilles heel and drop out from overtraining is pretty common.

Over the past 5 years i've written programs for a number of guys who have made it into SF units and there are a few things I've learnt in the process.

1. Trying to write a detailed plan more than 4 weeks at a time is very difficult. When training volume is high you need constant monitoring of your workouts to ensure you are doing enough to progress but not so much that you end up overtrained, sick and injured. I typically write a broad outline plan in 8 week blocks and then write a detailed program for 3 weeks up and a week of back off followed by a progress test then another 3 on 1 off block.

2. Strength training needs to be relatively low volume and very simple. I typically program 4 days a week consisting of 2 workouts each performed twice. Each workout has 3 or at most 4 exercises. Typically it's a big lower body lift (squat, deadlift or O lift and their variations) a big upper body lift (BP, MP, heavy rows, weighted pullups) and a core stability drill like KB TGU, Windmill, back extensions etc. Working volume varies from 3x5 to 3x3 and loads are waved over the 8 weeks but not with a great deal of rigidity.

3. At the end of each strength workout I include a short metcon workout of no more than 20 minutes. Some are borrowed from Crossfit, others are interval workouts, either running or rowing. This is where we do most of our pushup/pullp/situp training.

4. Depending on the nature of the SF selection course the volume of running, marching and swimming gets varied but at a minimum would consist of one medium distance run (2-4 miles), one longer run (4-8 miles) and one pack march or 1-2 battle PT sessions. If swimming is a big part of the course then I'll cycle between the battle PT and swimming with more swimming on the deload weeks.

5. Juggling all of this does get a bit tricky so I always monitor feedback and if someone complains of excessive fatigue we drop the volume and intensity back straight away.

From your current level of fitness I'd estimate that it shouldn't take much more than 3-4 months to reach your goal numbers.

If you want an example of one of the programs i've written recently just shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send it over.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote