View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #18
Derek Weaver

Thanks. I finally started looking more into the unfortunate truth that if something sticks a direction it normally wouldn't, it's usually not a genetic thing. Maybe a genetic predisposition to certain issue.

I still have some glaring imbalances, but since I've been working on loosening up my quads/hip flexors and targeting certain areas I've gotten a lot better.

One question though regarding the right foot being a bit externally rotated:

I've read a few schools of thought, and each has merit in my mind so I'd like to get a little clarification on my thinking.

One is that the internal rotators of the hip could be imbalanced and tight, causing the femur to internally rotate and the foot to overcompensate. This may be in response to a weak piriformis and glutes in general. I do seem to have a little extra tightness in the TFL area though from what I can tell. usually resolved with the lacrosse ball though. Likewise, externally rotated femurs may result in a pigeon toed stance.

The next one would be weak internal rotators and overactive glutes/piriformis causing external rotation of the hip that translates down to the ankle and foot. This doesn't seem to be the case given the imbalances between sides re: glutes

The first school of thought makes more sense to me given my set of circumstances. Any insight would be appreciated.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote