View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
Garrett Smith

Alicia,
Based on what you just said, you might consider two things.

Holy basil as an adaptogen.

Phosphatidylserine to lower cortisol specifically.

Oh yeah, since we're on the subject of cortisol (adrenals) and food. Spicy foods (capsaicin-containing peppers) appear to really fire off the adrenals. This makes sense to me, as it is an irritant and puts the digestive system into a "fight or flight" state and also requires more anti-inflammatory modulation (one way is cortisol).

I often find that people in the so-called "adrenal fatigue" state are often addicted to two things...caffeine and spicy food:
Capsaicin-induced local effector responses, autonomic reflexes and sensory neuropeptide depletion in the pig.
Quote:
Systemic capsaicin pretreatment (total cumulative dose 50 mg/kg administered s.c. over 2h) was performed in pigs under pentobarbitone anaesthesia and the effects on sensory and sympatho-adrenal mechanisms were examined acutely and 2 days after treatment. During pretreatment with capsaicin, pronounced sensory and sympatho-adrenal activation were noticed. This resulted in a several-fold increase in the systemic arterial plasma levels of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), neurokinin A (NKA), noradrenaline (NA), adrenaline (Adr) and neuropeptide Y (NPY), and a slight increase (39%) in plasma cortisol. Simultaneously, there was marked tachycardia, an increase in blood pressure, total skin erythema and some bronchoconstriction, all lasting for about 30 min. Upon repeated injections tachyphylaxis was observed. 2 days after capsaicin pretreatment, basal plasma levels of the neuropeptides, catecholamines and cortisol as well as basal cardiovascular and pulmonary parameters were similar in control and capsaicin-treated pigs.
[...]
A bolus injection of capsaicin (1 mg/kg i.v.) in control animals resulted in a marked increase in plasma catecholamines and NPY, concomitant with elevation in blood pressure and heart rate.
Note the bronchoconstriction. I talked about that possibility in my nightshades article in the PMenu.

Another one:
Effects of capsinoid ingestion on energy expenditure and lipid oxidation at rest and during exercise.
Quote:
CONCLUSION: The ingestion of 10 mg of capsinoids increased adrenergic activity, energy expenditure, and resulted in a shift in substrate utilization toward lipid at rest but had little effect during exercise or recovery. The changes we observed confirm previous data on the thermogenic and metabolic effects of capsinoids at rest and further promote its potential role as an adjunct weight loss aid, in addition to diet and exercise.
Capsaicin doesn't really have a "taste", only a sensation. People get addicted to the "high" they get from it, plain and simple.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote