View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
Ben Byram

Default Tuesday 21st December

40' nappage before starting, not unusually...

Squat:
107.5x5, 122.5x3, 130x1, 135x1, (no back-off sets).
Pissed off with with squats which have gone backwards from last month, knew I was in trouble when the first set felt hard. Was planning to go for 3 plates and do 140kg for first time in a while. Pathetic. Struggled to keep my knees from being pulled back when it gets hard, I guess my quads are weak.

Will change the programming and implement front squats to develop my quad strength on Saturdays instead of speed-sets which most people appear dismissive of at this level of strength; they don't appear to be helping with my knees getting pulled back either in hindsight. Was thinking about Dan John's one lift a day set scheme, but I guess it will be too much to recover from with front squats too? I think I need more work at a higher percentage of 1RM.... Hmm.....

Press:
77.5x1, 80x1.
Cut volume so I'm not battered for benching Thursday. (Compressing the important lifts into 2 workouts this week, then taking 5 days complete rest over Christmas). Done 3.5 months without any missed sessions, but with deloads every 4th week.

Some consolation with this. Achieved my goal this year of pressing 80kg a stone lighter than last year. 7.5kg shy of bodyweight press. Hopefully next year!

Chins:
20x5.
These are plateauing. Might try Shaf's ladders next year done once per week.

Explosive bench press skipped as benching Thurs.

Back extensions:
25x21x2.
First set easy, 2nd set was punishing after the first dozen.
Ben Byram is offline   Reply With Quote