View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #70
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
do you use weight with the high step ups?
Just before the last NAGA I did 2 sets of 20 minutes with no extra weight. It was as much recovery work as anything else.

More recently I've been doing 1-2 sets of 10-15 minutes with a 10# vest on. Since I'm also walking around 10 pounds heavier than my weigh-in weight this is a big weight jump. We mostly did this so I could get to my target heart rate much sooner, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i'm gonna try these next week for hict. i tried doing renegade row for hict, except that i was more piked instead of planked so that i could go for a long time.
The thing about step-ups to a high box is that they are utterly technically simple. Even when I'm 19 minutes into a second 20-minute set of them I'm still doing a proper step-up. I'm not sure I'm doing a proper pushup 19 reps into a 20 rep set.
So I'd suggest picking something that is so technically simple that you can do a good rep even when exhausted.

You do need a heart rate monitor. I did them once by feel (forgot the monitor) and it just wasn't as good. Too hard to gauge. Even if you spend only $30 or so on one that does nothing more than show your current rate it's worth it. So much so I'm starting to consider saving up for a better model that will show my overall performance so I can better track it. My coach started to experiment with this stuff on me and nagged me to get one. I resisted for a while but when I finally did it the methods suddenly became more clear and their benefits were instantly noticeable.