View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #72
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dell'Orto View Post
The thing about step-ups to a high box is that they are utterly technically simple. Even when I'm 19 minutes into a second 20-minute set of them I'm still doing a proper step-up. I'm not sure I'm doing a proper pushup 19 reps into a 20 rep set.
So I'd suggest picking something that is so technically simple that you can do a good rep even when exhausted.

You do need a heart rate monitor. I did them once by feel (forgot the monitor) and it just wasn't as good. Too hard to gauge. Even if you spend only $30 or so on one that does nothing more than show your current rate it's worth it. So much so I'm starting to consider saving up for a better model that will show my overall performance so I can better track it. My coach started to experiment with this stuff on me and nagged me to get one. I resisted for a while but when I finally did it the methods suddenly became more clear and their benefits were instantly noticeable.
i didn't do a pushup in the renegade row. i just did alternating arm rows while one rested on the KB on the ground. i piked to take some weight off the support hand so that i could go for a long time.

by definition, does a renegade row normally include the pushup?

i was able tune out a bit and still pull with decent form. i prob did around 30-40 minutes total with a few breaks here and there. i didnt' really time myself, i was just listening to some doug stanhope bits on youtube before i had to go to BJJ.

so what is the real benefit of the expensive heart rate monitors over the cheaper ones? are the cheap ones accurate enough?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote