View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #504
Andrew Wilson
Banned

[quote=raj rihal;85841]Andrew, quick question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Added to page 8:

The VO2max is only optimually developed in 100%-80% VO2max, that's maximal runs in 2mi-13mi. Anaerobic effort exceeds the 100% of the VO2max; that's the purpose of having the anaerobic energy pathways in the first place. Just doing anaerobic training you will not develop the optimal physiological effects that are specifically developed during aerobic training mentioned above. Interval training increases VO2max because these elite athletes that use interval training, do so at a pace, not maximal run, or continue effort at a lower intensity during the rest period; not just stopping as people think. This is seen in Seb Coe's 7x800m (3.5mi), he runs the 800m at 5km pace, which is one way he built his VO2max to run a 3:47 mile, and Roger Bannister's 10x400m (2.5mi+) with two minutes of jogging as rest and 5x800m with 6 minute job as rest.
Just to clarify:

1. VO2 max is developed in mileage between 2-13 miles at 80-100% of your VO2 max
2. Anaerobic pathways are designed to surpass your VO2 max for short periods
3. Interval training, when done NOT at maximal VO2 max or without completely stopping during the resting phase, increased your overall VO2 max.

Am I understanding that correctly? So in order to actually develop aerobic capacity intervals must be performed at a sub maximal pace. So then is the typical CF metcon only developing your anaerobic pathways without significantly improving aerobic capacity?
A maximal run effort at 2mi = 100% VO2max,
max run effort at 3mi = 95% VO2max,
max run effort at 6mi = 90% VO2max,
max run effort at 13mi = 80% VO2max.
This zone between 80%-100% VO2max (maximal oxygen you can consume), is the target zone to increase your VO2max. Which is why runners run high milleage, a 13mi & 6mi run is least intensive than a 2mi and 3mi.
Anaerobic pathways (energy production w/o oxygen) exceed 100% VO2max, meaning the physical effort exceeds your body's aerobic ability to solely produce all the energy needed for that effort. So an anaerobic pathway kicks in with the aerobic pathway, and contributes ATP.
To increase VO2max the four efforts above are needed or used.
Such as running max 2mi (100% VO2max) everyday the week will increase VO2max, so will running 6mi (90% VO2max) everyday the week will increase.
Running above this (100%+), is obviously using anaerobic pathway.

Quote:
So then is the typical CF metcon only developing your anaerobic pathways without significantly improving aerobic capacity?
Yes http://www.cathletics.com/forum/show...&postcount=339 CF workout also mishmash muscle groups and cells

Intervals are run at a pace, say you run 7x800m with 6 minutes of jogging as rest. You run the 800m the same pace you'd run a 800m in a 5,000m. So if you run a 15:00 = 5,000m, the 800m would be run in 2:30. Instead of running it at 2:00 full blast. A full blast 800m is about 120% VO2max, 5k 800m is 95% VO2max. I believe a 400m is 125% VO2max.

I just looked also at the Tabata abstract, they're sending me a copy. But what immediately caught my attention is the endurance group is training at 70% VO2max, the 2:1 group has a long distance session, and they're on a ergometer. I've tested and performed VO2max tested on an ergometer many times and if anyone is familiar with them, is that you DO NOT rest on them, the resistance is merely taken down. So it's likely these cyclists went full blast 20 seconds, resistance taken off for 10 seconds as they kept cycling, then again. I'll have to reread it
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote