View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
Looking forward to it. I know the popular training method is to train movements at their static position for best results. Steven I know your article states the training the statics will lead to faster gains, but you prefer to be stronger in all planes of movement. Some movements I fell I respond better to training just the statics, like the back lever, and l-sit. But for the front lever I feel a lot stronger doing negatives 1x a week, statics 1x, and front lever pulls 1x. I feel rotating between a PPPU and statics help me feel a lot stronger in the planche development as well.
I feel like that could be a mix of staying on a strict steady state cycle for the past year, so possible changing up movements adding a new stimulus. Or altering the movements changes up the amount of force put on the body. Almost like rotating between a " heavy, light, and medium" training schedule.
Statics may or may not lead to faster gains. If you've never worked with isometrics or eccentrics before they will lead to some very fast adaptations within about 1-2 month period of starting which lends credence to the "fast gains" theory, but most of the strength is via neurological adaptation.. but the hypertrophy can be beneficial.

Like I said in the article I tend to prefer more plane movement type stuff as it leads to better overall strength (in the various planes of movement). This is why I tend to pick up moves I've never tried before pretty quick (initial manna progression was very fast even with my poor shoulder ROM limitations that seem to be stiffling overall progress to full manna) and do well in unexpected movements such as in parkour.

The best routine "in general" as has been stated by many before me is the routine you're not on is the most effective. The impact of this is two fold and antagonistic.... you need to work similar movements or the same movements to really gain strength/neurological adaptation (large component of strength) however muscles and adaptations tend to respond better to varying exercises/movement patterns. If you fine isometrics work well because you've never done them before I'd include them in a ratio of maybe 2-3:1 mesocycles vs. cycles where you don't do them... or in the context of good progression when you hit a plateau with statics dump them for a cycle before coming back to them. This would allow more work with movements, and then when you come back to them you will initially be slightly weaker because you haven't worked them for 4-8 weeks, but the gains come back fast and the adaptations from movements should help you bust through a plateau like that.

I definitely think like you said.. back lever you can easily get with just statics. Front lever is more of a combo draw with statics + concentric movements like FL pullups + mix of eccentrics + maybe some specific rotator cuff work provides the most consistent progression.

PL work definitely needs assistance exercises beyond the statics as well.... straight arm presses fit very well into this scheme overall and help significantly in any handstand skill work that you need.... but no one does it. The other alternatives are things like PPPUs which are only OK fi you keep good form. HSPUs/dips can help but it varies from person to person.

I've written that I don't like SSC much because it underestimates the impact of the novice effect/linear progression. However, it can be utilized effectively when getting close to intermediate strength levels though I do like the undulated periodization model better (which is varying reps based on intensity which leads to some variations in total volume/intensity much like light/heavy or L/M/H, H/L/M or M/L/H progressions).

In fact, unless you're working progressively towards specific goals it's not a bad idea to switch up certain assistance exercises as well and you can stick with the same repetition/volume/intensity rate and still get good progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Of which year?
Har har. Planning on this year.

Last edited by Steven Low; 02-15-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote