View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
My thread notification must have been messed up. Sorry to leave questions hanging for so long.

Jim answered this, but here's the thing. You can do a lot, A LOT of work if you manage this thing properly. The key to weight training to support a sport or conditioning routine is to do low volume, high intensity work. I don't do much in the way of assistance. I get 6-8 hours a week of assistance work on the mat. That's plenty.
Yeah, I started to figure this out after actually putting my thinking cap on. Good point about getting a lot of assistance stuff on the mat, or in any other sport for those of us who aren't grapplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
This is ancillary stuff we're talking about. The occasional 5K nature jog or kookyball swinging is fine. Running 50 miles a week or doing a couple 10 minute SCCJ with 2x32kg is a different story.
Ties in with above and makes sense. More or less how my own training has begun to go as I've done more conditioning, and am trying to heal after hurting myself again. As one side (conditioning, competition etc.) goes up, the other (gpp/weight room stuff) goes down. Basic stuff to the point that I often muck it up.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote