View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #106
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Just started working on this program starting with the conditioning block... question about tempo. It's not circuits, right?

Also, assuming I do BJJ 3-4 days/week, is this too much for off days to work towards?

Workout A: Tempo, HICT, cardiac output
Workout B: HICT, cardiac output
Workout C: low volume HRI, cardiac output

Starting out (beginning of phase) it's looking more like this:

Workout A: cardiac output
Workout B: tempo
Workout C: HICT, HRI

With jits of course on 3-4 additional days and 1 rest day. (Probably will do jits on the cardiac output day if I had to double up at all.)

My only problem so far is that I am having a hard time keeping my heartrate steady for cardiac output (I'm biking, and there are hills and flat areas so hard to stay in range instead of zigzagging) and for my HRI attempt I couldn't get my HR up to 150 even doing hill lunges... I don't have access to a spin bike ATM, so need to figure out how to do this. I think burpees even or bagwork might be a better choice...
HICT and HRI may be hard to do on the same day, esp. if both are using your legs. You can do tempo for just upper body and HRI on the same day. I also wouldn't do HRI and cardiac output on the same day, but if that's all you can do, then I'd make sure that you're not pushing the volume of cardiac output on that day.

I only attempted HRI once, b/c of a lack of access to anywhere or any tools to do it, and I suffered the consequences when I went to OCS. I was doing fine on everything except running up hills. I actually had to be pushed up one hill the first time. I thought that HICT and lifting weights for my lower body would allow me to be decent at running up hills, but it wasn't so.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote