View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
James Orr

Default Kicking the (metCon) Habit

I can't tell you how much I loved Jocelyn's article, and I'd love to hear more about what this actually looked like:

Quote:
The program was quite different than what I was accustomed to. It consisted of a strength training and Olympic weightlifting progression followed by short, intense metabolic conditioning consisting of mostly non-technical movements (ie: sandbag shouldering, box jumps, pull ups, short sprints, etc.). Strength and technical work like the Olympic lifts, hand stand pushups, and muscle ups, were for the most part performed and developed separately from metabolic conditioning. However, they would be put in to the conditioning workouts periodically for testing under metabolic stress. Besides the strength training progression, rather than randomized training, one of the biggest differences in my program was the lack of endurance type conditioning. Most of the time my workouts were very short (3-12 min) and often consisted of unusual movements (think barbell carries or sand bag half-moons) and 400m, 200m repeats or 100m row sprints. Though every once and a while we would test my 5k run.
I started following The Fitness Conduit when I realized I wasn't really progressing or enjoying mainpage CrossFit. I love The Fitness Conduit, but I'd love to something with more steady, regular work with weightlifting even more. Exercise is something I do for health and enjoyment, and I really enjoy weightlifting.

Could you describe how Jocelyn's program was put together? Or if that's kind of proprietary knowledge, how would you put together a recreational weightlifting/short metcon program where you lift two or three times per week and do two or three metcons?
James Orr is offline   Reply With Quote