View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Warren Rupaprt

Not to hijack the OP's original post, but I've been having some of the same questions from the opposite perspective--how do I build up a good endurance base while maintaining (or at least not loosing too much) strength?

I've been focused primarily on gaining strength for the last 6+ months (4 strength days a week, with 2 short "metcons"), and have made decent gains on Squat, DL, PC, Press & Bench. However, my running endurance has taken a huge hit, and I need to build it back up for several events coming up this fall, starting in October. What's the smartest (or at least a smart) way to do this? I don't expect to gain strength, as I just don't seem to be built that way. However, I'd like to minimize it's loss if it all possible.

Two templates I've contemplated are:

1.) Wendler 5/3/1 twice a week, with Squat/Press one day and DL/Bench the next. Plus, three running days per week, focused first on building up an endurance base (3-4 miles) 3x a week, then switching to 2x a week sprints/intervals/hills/tempo with 1 longer run (building to 5-6 miles).

2.) Twice a week lifting, with 5x5 Squat/5x5 Press one day and 3x5 DL/3x5 Bench the next (each starting at, say, 75% of my 1RM and incrementing weekly?). Plus, three running days per week, focused first on building up an endurance base (3-4 miles) 3x a week, then switching to 2x a week sprints/intervals/hills/tempo with 1 longer run (building to 5-6 miles).

Are these templates sound, or are there better/smarter ways to do this? Should I simply replace the "pure strength" days for now with some properly chosen CF WODs, such as "Cindy" and perhaps 5K rowing as examples? In other words, workouts that, while maintaining some strength, better match the endurance domain I'm trying to adapt to?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Warren Rupaprt is offline   Reply With Quote