View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Rupaprt View Post
Ben and Michael, thanks for your thoughtful replies. Two questions: First, when figuring out a weekly workout schedule, is it best to put the strength day(s) immediately after a rest day (so you're more "fresh"), or immediately before (after you're tired from running the previous days, but will have a day off to recover)?
I'm not Ben nor Michael.
But I would say if you add in more strength sessions without regard to rest day, your body will sort of autoregulate based on daily strength level.

Personally I've set PRs on days where I was tired and felt like crap and on days that I was completely fresh. I've also failed to set PR's even though I expected them on days I felt like crap and on days I was completely fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Rupaprt View Post
Now, as I'm trying to build back up to just running two miles three times a week while lifting twice a week, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to just make it through the two miles. Plus, I'm sore, tired, and finding myself struggling with squat weights that were relatively easy a month ago.
Personally I would do half that volume 5-6 times per week. I think you will make better progress and feel less burned out. You need to develop a base, and it's hard to develop a base on only a couple sessions per week. Much easier to maintain on a couple sessions per week, though.

Ideally if these runs are nice and easy you'll be making the necessary adaptations to building a base and you'll be spending most of your time in the oxidative pathway. Go too fast and you'll use the other energy pathways, which are harder to recovery from obviously, and you need these pathways for lifting too.
So unless you are completely glycogen depleted or are going too fast, your runs should not hamper your recovery for lifting too much.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote