View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Warren Rupaprt

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your thoughtful answers (even when on your honeymoon in Ben's case!).

Let me see if I can summarize the advice/perspective I've received here:

1.) First and foremost, 3 endurance workouts a week is a MINIMUM for building my base back up. 4-5 is much better, even if it means lower initial time/distance.
2.) Strength can be maintained (more or less) by keeping up intensity while reducing volume. Two sessions a week is probably the realistic max (assuming a "whole body" type session--squat/press/pull, etc).
3.) Perhaps most importantly--it seems as though endurance runners (who want to be strong) prefer to put running first in their day, then strength train later (ordering their efforts by priority of importance).

So it sounds like the best options for me are to either:

a.) Workout five days a week, with two strength sessions and three endurance sessions on separate days. This would *seem* to be the best compromise for both purposes.
b.) Workout four to five days a week, but on two of those days, add a strength session in the afternoon (assuming morning runs). Adjust all sessions as needed to keep building endurance and avoid burning out.

Considering what I know of my daily/weekly schedule, I'm thinking option "a" will have to be my choice for now, re-evaluating every four weeks or so and adjusting as necessary. Perhaps a Wendler 5/3/1 with a two-day-per-week split, throwing in minimum assistance work on the strength days? (I'm assuming a little bit of restraint on the max-rep squat & deadlift sets will be called for).

One last question if I may: For someone who wants to be a good runner who is strong, is it best to build the endurance base first, then add the strength on top of that (ie, have I done it all backwards recently)? And what are realistic strength benchmarks (squat, DL, etc.) for such a person?
Warren Rupaprt is offline   Reply With Quote