View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Steve Shafley

Here's what I had to say to Ola.

Originally Posted by Ola Persson
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks again for the valuable info on the forum! I would really appreciate it if you have the time to give me feedback on the following plan:
Monday: squat ladders 1-2-3, press/bench on a linear progression, other (mainly chins).
Wednesday: deadlift ladders 1-2-3, press/bench LP, other, conditioning.
Friday: squat ladders 1-2-3, press/bench LP, other (hamstring work/RDL),
Saturday: conditioning.

Basically something like the GSLP but with squat and dead ladders.

My background: 37 years, 110 kg, goals are to keep getting stronger (within a year press/Sq/DL 90/200/250 kg), loose 10 kg of body fat and gain some stamina. Current lifts: press 72,5 kg*9 reps, squat 167,5 kg*7, deadlift 200 kg*5 (I’ve only done close grip benches the last year due to shoulder issues). Been on Wendler and GSLP for 1˝ years.
Ola,

This looks fine for me.

If you review the Tuchsherer RPE chart that I have listed:

Quote:
10- Maximal. No reps left in the tank.
9- Last rep is tough, but still 1 rep left in the tank.
8- Weight is too heavy to maintain fast bar speed, but is not a struggle. 2-4 reps left.
7- Weight moves quickly when maximal force is applied to the weight. “Speed weight”
6- Light speed work. Moves quickly with moderate force.
5- Most warm-up weights
4- Recovery. Usually 20+ rep sets. Not hard, but intended to flush the muscle.
I would like your deadlift sets to be close to @9 on the triples. Squats should be closer to @8 to @8.5. You understand the non-linear kind of progression I am talking about here and how I would like you to control the volume based on how your workout feels that day?

Back to DLs:

So, if you do 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3...I would like that triple (at least the last one) to be @9...where you could do 1 more rep if you had to, because you are only deadlifting/pulling 1x weekly. BUT, it shouldn't be grinding and slow, it should come up quickly and be a well executed lift with regards to form and speed.

The problem seems to be this: (with regards to Wendler's 531 and to the GSPL): Some people don't get improvements in strength when they take a set close to failure (like in the last set for 531 or for GSLP), they get better muscular endurance (and hypertrophy) in that range. Contrary to popular belief, muscular endurance gains do not tend to bleed upwards, enhancing maximal strength gains ( this isn't universally true, however, but the converse: maximal strength gains positively impact muscular endurance gains is universally true)
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote