View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It works well integrated with higher level programming. Specifically in terms of dynamic or lighter days (I prefer not really going below 80% 1 RM or around 10 RM, but you can go down to 40-60% 1 RM depending on the exercise). Westside dynamic days are built around similar concepts.

Accelerated concentric tends to work fine up to a high level though.

Here's a little bit more about that (someone correct me if anything I say is incorrect):

For example, "volume days" tend to be a bit higher repetition and thus preferentially stimulate the muscles a bit more than the nervous system. However, "intensity days" tend to be a bit lower repetition and tend to work towards a 1-3 RM which focuses on developing the neurological aspect of strength. So in effect you are going to alternate focus to allow one system to recover a bit while you stress the other. This tends to lead to good gains.

Therefore, it's pretty much a very "basic" form of periodization. Light/heavy works exceptionally well for those in intermediate and advancing towards advanced type of lifting.

Programming in some respects carries a stigma that it's hard to understand, but in reality it's not really that hard to understand once you see the concepts underlying them.

Last edited by Steven Low : 08-30-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote