View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
Rick Deckart
Banned

Default The plan

As it looks I have to work Saturday and Sunday...

So I will start the building plan in this post and continue this on a more or regular basis. The design is from an old eastern german book on weightlifting. Still the only book in german on olympic weightlifting. I modified it to fit my needs, as I need some place to store my plates which are usually lying around in my barn gym and because I thought that lowering the COG would be a good idea. I realized that with a little extra effort this could be used as plyometric box too.

The tools:
  • power saw
  • mitre box saw (for solid angle cuts in several planes)
  • alternatively and what I used a good alround japanese saw (the best handsaws on earth)
  • Power drill with torx bit so that you don't have to fix all screws by hand (which would be a super workout...)
  • wood glue (I use this only for the additional support structures)
  • a tape measure, preferably in mm
  • adjustable angle, or bevel
  • a jig, which you have to construct from wood
  • one or two large clamps
  • torx screws, preferably M25 5mm x 50mm, although M20 4mm x 50mm should do fine, if you have the money buy self countersink screws, else you will need a countersink too.

The dimension:
  • base: 500mm x 500mm
  • top: 400mm x 400mm x 21mm (birch multiplex plywood, the thicker the better)
  • height: ~1000mm
  • legs: 53mm x 53mm x 987mm (you can choose the length between 1000--1200mm as you like) the odd length was choosen because the 2000mm beams turned out to be ~1990mm long...
  • outer frames: made from 93mm x 20mm boards

Material list:
  • torx screws, preferably M25 5mm x 50mm, although M20 4mm x 50mm should do fine, if you have the money buy self countersink screws, else you will need a countersink too.
  • wooden beams 53mm x 53mm x 2000mm
  • wooden boards 93mm x 20mm x 2000mm
  • two wooden boards, preferably multiplex >21mm thickness, 400mm x 400mm
  • a scrap wood plate ~500mm x ~500mm to construct a jig.

to be continued...
:
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote