View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Larry Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
Strength and aerobic endurance training force different adaptations in the body. To get stronger, you have to train for strength. Doing countless reps on bodyweight exercises, or any exercise for that matter, will produce little gains in hypertrophy(muscle mass).
Getting stronger is usually a misconception with those that have never tried it. They usually think that it has little health benefits, and has more to do with meatheads that have nothing better to do. Nothing could be farther from the truth.Training to get stronger will not only keep you healthier than standard cardio, but will also go a long way with injury prevention. Provided it is all done with proper form and in the proper intensity ranges. Muscle mass gained through a program deals with the quality of your nutrition (paleo vs. a diet high in processed carbohydrates like grains and rice) and the amount of calories you take in each day.
I could be wrong, but if switching from a primarily aerobic program, and do to your age, your body is probably low on its testosterone levels. Might want to ask Steve Low.

Also where do you work out? Local gym like golds or a crossfit facility?
Blair is right about the smith machine as well. In the beginning your strength program will be very basic, and will depend a lot on your recovery abilities ( sleep, nutrition, etc). A basic template would be 2-3 total body sessions a week. Mark Rippetoe's starting strength might be a good place to start. As well as finding a coach that can show you how to properly execute the lifts.

I know this is a lot to process for your question, hopefully some of the mods can provide additional insight.
Thanks for your points. I'm aware of potential conflicts between aerobic and strength. That is why I said that I am not building my aerobic but just maintaining it, so it doesn't backslide too much. And I'll be doing the strength on different days. The volume of aerobic is low, so I don't believe there should be a conflict.

Actually my interest is in increasing reps, not absolute strength so much, although I agree there are health benefits to being stronger for sure.
Obviously more strength endurance requires one to be strong, especially if someone is lifting a signficent amount of weight, such as your entire bodyweight. Adding muscle mass is another story, and I'm not interested in specifically focusing on that. If some happens that's fine, but it's just isn't motivating to me.

I am aware that diet plays a large part in muscle building, and to strength endurance to some degree at least. With strength endurance carbs will be a bit more important to digest, though protein is always important. I won't eat paleo but do vary around 30-40% protein.

My T level is ok. Keep in mind I never overdid aerobics. At most 10-15 miles a week, which is about 1/10th the amount of a serious competitive runner!

Yeah, the gym was a concern as far as free weights go. I'm definately going to take it slow. It's not a brand name gym. A few people squat, but more are into the machines and dumbells. The problem with getting a trainer is telling who really knows their stuff. I'll talk to a few. It's low poundage at this point, so it will be hard to hurt myself. But with the squats and any other compound movement I do, I am going to do lower reps 6-8. The high reps are just for the cool factor when doing pushups, pullups, etc.

Cheers!

Edit: Main quesiton at this point is whether 2 days cardio is enough for maintenance? It feels
about right in that one day is easy, one harder to work to keep both higher and lower gears in tuned.
Larry Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote